Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Summer Reading List

Ok, so it's a little sparse. There's just NOT enough time in the day! At least I have a list - that's a step up from any time before June, when the only thing I read regularly were my feeds.
  • How I Paid for College: A Novel of Sex, Theft, Friendship & Musical Theater, by Marc Acito
    • This was one of those fun, feel-good stories that only got better with the guest appearance by Frank Sinatra at the end.
  • Attack of the Theater People, by Marc Acito
    • I pretty much had to read this, just because it was a sequel. I have to say, I enjoyed the first book more. I liked how the characters matured from the beginning of the first book to the second, but there was just more heart and more story in How I Paid for College.
  • The Good Fairies of New York, by Martin Millar
    • Sweet, hip and funny. I didn't get too attached to anyone in this story, in fact, I didn't really like any of the characters very much, but it was interesting to see how they interacted.
  • Between the Bridge and the River, by Craig Ferguson
    • A+++ Great Story
      I haven't actually finished this one yet, but as far as summer reading goes, this one wins for me. There's a surprising amount of insight and poignancy for all the comedy and bizarre wanderings. I want to finish this book, but I need to savor it at the same time.
  • Fear of Flying, by Erica Jong
    • This is the selected book for the QSFT Book Club 2008 (established by me ;)). I'm only about 5 chapters in and it's interesting but not at the top of my list. I have to keep reminding myself of the era in which it was written. I understand the significance and womens lib and all that but it doesn't change the fact that I hate the "c-word" and it's overuse in this story.
Dunno what else I'll get around to this summer. I love that the Hilliard Library is 5 minutes from home, I'm taking full advantage of the convenience!

No comments: